Before you start
- Attend a training workshop on systematic reviews if you have not yet done so
- Read a published review and consult the Cochrane Handbook
- We strongly advice authors to carefully read our webpage Methodology to be used
- Make sure you have the most current version of RevMan
- Make yourself familiar with Covidence (to support study selection) and GradePro (to create a Summary of Findings table)
- You are prepared to begin!
Process and Timeline
- Run the searches in the databases as described in the protocol
- Perform additional searches
- Perform, with at least 2 authors independently,
- the study selection (Tip: Covidence is Cochrane's new recommended tool to support authors in the labour-intensive stage of study selection)
- the risk of bias assessment
- the data extraction
- Perform the data analysis
- Use the GradePro for grading the quality of evidence and to create a Summary of Findings (SoF) table
- Tip: follow the guidance on Cochrane criteria in RevMan while you are editing your review
- Tip: follow the guidance of the Cochrane Style Manual
- Tip: use a published review as example but realize that Cochrane criteria are regularly updated
- A draft Review should be submitted within 12 months of publication of the Protocol. Please note that at the time of publication the Review's search can be maximal 1 year old.
- The editorial process for full Reviews is the same as for Protocols
- Click here for a flow chart of the process and timeline
A draft Review should be submitted within 1 year of publication of the Protocol. If a Review has not been received within two years, the Editorial Board reserves the right to make the topic available to other interested author teams.