Before you start
- Download Review Manager (RevMan). Familiarize yourself with RevMan before starting. RevMan is essential for editing and for submitting your Protocol to the Editorial Base.
- Attend a training workshop on systematic reviews organised by your local Cochrane Centre; use Cochrane Open Learning Modules, take a look at the 'good practice resources for new Cochrane authors-page', or try Cochrane’s new Training website.
- Read a published Cochrane protocol and consult the Cochrane Handbook
- We strongly advice authors to carefully read our webpage Methodology to be used
- You are prepared to begin!
Process and Timeline
- A Protocol should give a detailed outline of
- the rationale for doing the review;
- the Population, Intervention, Comparison and Outcomes (PICO) you plan to examine;
- how you plan to search the literature, select relevant studies, assess Risk of Bias, extract and analyse the data
A draft Protocol should be submitted within 6 months of Title registration. The Editorial Board has the right to deregister or transfer the title to a new author team if a Protocol has not been received within one year.